I started working on automating testing ( BDD style ) a few weeks ago, and it took me a while to go over the available tools and options. The obvious starting point was cucumber. Which then led me to Behat, which then took me to Codeception.
When someone tells you it works out of the box, you should always take that with a pinch of salt. Of course, if you follow the quickstart page, it will take you through the different steps that you would take to unwrap the shrink around the box, open it up, take the protective foam bar out, … You get my drift.
Turns out you would need a few more ingredients before you could start testing. Here’s what I needed:
- Download and run selenium
- Download and install chromedriver
- Setup PhpStorm with Codeception
And, if you’re like me, going to test WordPress sites themes and plugins, you might find the WPBrowser very useful.
Here’s a list of the steps I took locally on an Ubuntu 15.10 machine (that already had Google Chrome installed)
If you didn’t have Chrome (or installing on a server):
dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
apt-get install -f # dirty shortcut to get apt to install dependencies for you!
wget http://goo.gl/rQhaxb -O /opt/selenium-server-standalone.jar
sudo apt-get install xvfb
alias run_selenium="DISPLAY=:1 xvfb-run java -jar /opt/selenium-server-standalone.jar"
wget -N http://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/2.20/chromedriver_linux64.zip
chmod +x chromedriver
sudo mv -f chromedriver /usr/local/share/chromedriver
sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/chromedriver /usr/local/bin/chromedriver
sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/chromedriver /usr/bin/chromedriver
A couple of parting notes:
- WebDriver and PhpBrowser do not work together, one of them must be commented out when you’re testing. Pretty obvious when you think about it!
- When you change browser to ‘chrome’, you should also add ‘http_proxy: direct’ in the acceptance.suite.yml