I was having a little conversation with my friend Ghassan from LebanonDesign and he mentioned his company was actually using something similar to SiteScreenShot to generate thumbnails for their different websites. So I thought I could scale my code to do the same. Of course, plenty of changes should be considered:
- Snapshot generation currently takes 3-5 seconds to complete. So I need to do 2 things:
- Tell the user that the app is actually working on generating the snapshot
- Provide a way to retrieve the pic once the snapshot is generated
- Make things go faster if possible
- Getting more users means more load on the server, what should we use?
I’m currently testing some code with django-celery and I’ll try to post more information here (so I can remember what I’m doing)
Also on my list is making the site accessible via a simple API.
I also need to research a better way to take the screenshots on a headless server.
You can leave the first : )